Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Live Your Life On Purpose: Inspiration: Still I Rise

THIS IS MY FAVORITE "back to
inspiration
Still I Rise by Maya Angelou [poetry] You may write me
down in
history With your bitter,
twisted
lies, You may trod me
in the very dirt But still, like
dust, I’ll rise. Does my
sassiness
upset you? Why are you beset
with gloom? ‘Cause I walk like
I’ve got oil wells
Pumping in my
living room. Just like moons
and like suns, With the
certanity of tides, Just like hopes
springing high, Still I’ll rise. Did
you want
to see me broken? Bowed head and
lowered eyes? Shoulders
falling
down like teardrops, Weakened
by my soulful cries? Does my haughtiness
offend you? Don’t you take
it awful hard ‘Cause I laugh like I’ve
got gold mines Diggin’ in my
own backyard. You may shoot me
with your
words, You may cut
me with your eyes, You may kill me with
your
hatefulness, But still, like
air, I’ll rise. Does my
sexiness upset you? Does it come
as a surprise, That I dance like
I’ve got diamonds, At the
meeting
of my thighs? Out of
the huts of history’s
shame I rise, Up from a past that’s
rooted i pain
I rise. I’m a black ocean,
leaping and wide, Welling
and swelling I bear
in the tide. Leaving
behind nights of
terror and fear, I rise. Into a
daybreak that’s
wondrously
clear, I rise. Bringing
the gifts that
my
ancestors gave, I am the
dreamand the
hope of the
slaves. I rise, I rise, I rise."

No comments: